The Instituto de Etnomusicologia – Centro de Estudos em Música e Dança (INET-md) is a transdiciplinary research center with headquarters at the Faculdade de Ciências Sociais e Humanas, Universidade Nova de Lisboa (FCSH-UNL) and three branches at the Departamento de Comunicação e Arte, Universidade de Aveiro (DeCA-UA), the Faculdade de Motricidade Humana, Universidade de Lisboa (FMH-UL) and the Escola Superior de Educação, Instituto Politécnico do Porto (ESE-IPP).
INET-md’s main objective is the development of research and creation in the fields of music and dance, in collaboration with various interlocutors and institutions. The main activities include:
- To carry out transdisciplinary research on music and dance, using current perspectives from Ethnomusicology, Historical Musicology, Cultural Studies, Popular Music Studies, Dance Studies, Music Education, Music Theory and Analysis, Performance Studies, Music Acoustics, Sound Studies and Artistic Research;
- To develop collaborative partnerships with local groups and communities, artists, policy makers and national and international institutions, towards a socially responsible democratic and decolonial construction of knowledge;
- To promote research that fosters relations between countries and regions with historical links with Portugal, addressing issues related to colonial pasts and postcolonial contexts;
- To develop artistic research on music and dance performance and composition;
- To consolidate research in sound production and perception based on physical and psycho-acoustic principles;
- To promote audiovisual archiving and online databases as a common good for society.
Research is carried out within and across the following Research Groups: